We’re taking it back this week with the original coconut soup. Tom Kha Gai is the quintessential Thai soup that has existed in one form or the other for over 100 years. We love its simple yet rich and sweet flavors, which get better if left overnight in the fridge, so plan on doubling this recipe to find out for yourself! The broth really is the star of the show here, with lemongrass, ginger and lime melding together in perfect harmony, this one’s sure to warmth the soul and nourish the body.
Thai Chicken Coconut Soup (Tom Kha Gai)
Serves: 4 | Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 2 pouches Bare Bones Broth Classic Chicken Bone Broth
- 4 fresh or frozen lime leaves (or thinly shaved lime zest if you can’t find the leaves)
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut into 3” pieces hammered with the back of a knife (to release the oils)
- 1 (2-inch) piece fresh galangal, peeled and thinly sliced (or regular ginger will do, too)
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 ounces fresh or canned straw mushrooms, drained
- 1 juicy lime (about ¼ cup of juice), plus extra lime wedges for serving
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 4 fresh bird’s eye or Thai chilies, smashed
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
Place the chicken broth in your soup pot and bring the to a boil. Allow it to boil, uncovered, on medium-high heat for about 10 minutes to slightly reduce.
Add the coconut milk, lime leaves, lemongrass, and galangal. Cover and let simmer for about 5 minutes to infuse flavor.
NOTE: At this point, you have an AMAZINGLY tasty sipping broth. You can remove the lemongrass and leaves and call it good. OR, you can take the following steps:
Add the chicken and mushrooms. Increase heat and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a steady simmer and cook uncovered for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
Add the lime juice, fish sauce, and chiles; stir to combine. Add salt and fresh squeezed lime juice to taste.
Serve, stirring in fresh chopped cilantro and with a wedge of lime. (Can be eaten over rice, or alone.)
Peach and Coconut Bone Broth Smoothie
Keto Chicken Soup
Stuffed Delicata Squash
Butternut Squash Lasagna with Cashew Cheese
Whole30 Instant Soup-in-a-jar
Caprese Salad with Bone Broth Lemon Vinaigrette